background

Monday, May 16, 2011

Last Game

top row: Landon, Amy, Alison, Darekah, Brittany, Sophie, Britney
bottom row: Caryn, Avery, Hannah, Rebekah, Anna, Julianne
missing: Catherine, Emme, Lauren
This was a picture taken at our last game on Saturday. Sadly, not everyone was there.  We had a blast coaching, and I thought you might enjoy some of our funnier experiences with these fun, definitely pre-teen girls.  

  • For some reason, our girls had a thing with screaming.  Darekah even was warned by the ref in the last game to cut it out.  We think of Caryn, Emme, Darekah, and whoever else joined in as our "scream team"
  • Darekah yelled to us on the sideline--"It's so hot!...just like me"
  • Brittany--"Ooh, that guy's cute.  You should date him...well, you'd have to break up with Landon first.  Maybe I should date him"
  • Ali--"Can I come out...Why does it feel like I'm on defense by MYSELF!"
  • At every kickoff, Darekah yells "Charge!!"
  • Brittany as she watched me and Landon--"Oh, you're such a...couple!"
  • Avery was probably our sassiest player.  In a game where we were losing 6-1, she yelled when we scored--"Take THAT white!"
  • Catherine, like most of them, always wants to go back in when I sub her out.  Last time she told me "I walked off the field because I had to save energy for when you sub me back in now."
  • Lauren told me matter-of-factly that I needed to put her in because she was gonna score.  And I also needed me to let her do the next kick on a penalty.  I let her, and she did just as she said and scored off the next kick.
  • Rebekah's Mom yelled from the sideline, "Beks!  Get the ball!"  Rebekah stops in the middle of the play to yell at the sideline "I WAS TRYING!"  The mothers all laughed and said "Wow, they actually hear us when we yell over here."
  • Rebekah always wanted to tell me stories of her day during the game.  She recited to me "The Princess and the Pea" once.  Ali noticed, and asked "What, have you never heard the story?"  To which I responded, "Oh no, I have." I often had to pause her so that I could sub people in and out, and then let her continue.  She was pretty persistent.
  • Anna, our smallest girl by far, won the shooting contest at practice.  But she didn't like to ever dribble--just kick it.  Brittany noted during the next game "Man, she can shoot it, but she won't dribble to the goal to shoot.  Somehow we need to place her next to the goal and get her the ball without it being offsides..."
  • Emme always hit the floor screaming and writhing if anyone kicked her.
  • I think Hannah has come up with every possible idea to get me to give her a candy bar when nobody is looking.
They were a fun group of girls!

2 comments:

  1. That's hilarious! It sounds like you had your hands full!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know you guys had a blog--how fun! I'll have to start checking in. :)

    I think it's awesome that you coached soccer together. Kids soccer is great, and you'd be such a fun coach.

    ReplyDelete