background

Monday, May 16, 2011

Green Thumb

Our apartment complex took out the old hot tub that never actually worked and decided to offer residents the opportunity to have a garden plot.  Landon jumped on the idea right away.  I thought it was a great idea too, but since I am the only one who will be here this summer to weed it, I was maybe a little less gung ho. Nonetheless, we spent a couple hours last night planting our first family garden in a 6'x5' plot.  We crammed about as many herbs and vegetables in that space as we thought could possibly grow.  I told Landon "I'm a little afraid that we overdid it..." to which he responded "Well, we didn't leave them the optimum amount of space, but hopefully something will grow."  Seeing that the soil isn't the best (whatever they filled in the hot tub hole with--including rocks), and we've never farmed in Utah's weather, we have no idea how it will go.  But we are optimistic, and I've already used some fresh mint and cilantro.


I told Landon we had to take a picture after planting, when there are no weeds and we look like pro gardeners.

The pink trees outside our complex were really pretty this weekend.  Landon forced me to pose, and this is one of the few where I smiled...in most of them I was making the "I hate being in pictures by myself" face.

2 comments:

  1. I think you have more garden space than I do! And yours probably won't be killed by soccer balls (and cartwheels). :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate being in pictures by myself, too. :) The garden looks great! Now that I know we're gonna be here longer, I've been researching what plants grow fastest. But like you guys, I have no idea how things grow here in Tacoma. Tami mentioned slugs as a problem once. Do they get on balconies? Hmmm... a lot to learn. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete