background

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Tamarinski

If you click on it you can see it closer up. Sweet sledding hill!
We were being like the hippos at the zoo


It's my sister's birthday today, so I thought that since I was thinking about her (and she's so far away) I would post some of my thoughts.  I feel that if I had to choose someone that is the most like me, Tami would be it.  Maybe that's because she was 8 years older than me, so I thought everything she did was cool and I followed in her footsteps.  Some sisters might find that annoying, or even become bitter.  Especially when her little sister got birthday parties instead of her (with birthdays two days apart), or when she had to babysit me all the time because I didn't like to go to anyone else.  But Tami has always been an amazing example and support.  She taught me a lot about music and sports.  I could go to her when I had to change schools for different classes, or apply for specific programs because she had already done them.  
I think some older sisters might find it great to get out of the house and be crazy and independent in college. But Tami invited each of us to spend a week individually with her in Seattle, so that we would  stay close.  My parents willingly sent us because they trusted her so much.  I still remember her sending me post cards, which made me feel important.  Even now, I've learned so much about being a mom from her because I have been around to watch her learn as she goes.  God did a great job deciding which of us should come first.
As I've gotten older she's still a role model, but also a friend.  With sisters, things are just easier.  We laugh at the same things and react the same to ideas and opinions.  We both love to curl up to a movie while eating warm cookies, or dress up for a night out to see a symphony and feel "high-rollin".  We both hate losing at card games and expect each other to "play to win".  I can go running with her because we have the same genes and go about the same pace.  I can joke about her quirks and she knows I love her because of them (I hope).  We can even give each other hair tips, and heaven knows there are very few people who have experience with my kind of hair.  There are lots of reasons why I love her as a sister and a friend, but I just wanted to write today and say that I think she has lived a fabulous life to this point. Happy Birthday Tami, and have another great year!

1 comment: