background

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Independence Day n' stuff

Angie and I have been doing all the crazy activities that I have said I want to do while in Utah, but never had time for. So, this week we were on a waterfall hiking craze.  We started with a short hike outside of pleasant grove to Battle Creek's waterfall.




And we even climbed down behind the waterfall a bit.  When you stand right at the bottom, it's overwhelming how powerful those are!

On Friday, some of the couples in our ward needed more girls to play in their softball game with the city league.  So we played and it was a blast.  I haven't played in so long!  They put me in left field, which is new for me.  But since it was slow-pitch, I think I got most of the balls.  I got a few sweet catches, and Angie was representing at third base :)  I was on first when the guy behind me hit a sweet shot to left field.  I got on my horse, and sprinted around third.  I could see the catcher getting ready for the throw, and I heard it hit his glove just as I was approaching, so I slid on instinct--something I am now regretting.  I was safe! But they tell me he actually didn't catch it, the ball just hit off his mit.  So I didn't have to slide, and now I'm paying for it. Apparently you shouldn't slide in shorts without sliding shorts on under.  I have a pretty huge strawberry on my leg that I have had to keep bandaged up with lots of gauze and neosporin.  Luckily, it is getting a lot better after about a week.

Then I took a second stab at Stewart Falls.  It's a little bit longer than the other hike, but worth it!
I had to wear "stretchy pants" (you have to say that like Nacho Libre) because of my sliding wound :)

Crazy, but with the 90 degree weather, there was still snow-pack
 at the bottom of the waterfall where we were standing.

From a little further away you could actually see two waterfalls.  

We also took part in lots of the Independence Day festivities.  The Stadium of Fire was pretty great, with dancers, a local version of American Idol, David Archuletta, Brad Paisley, and some amazing fireworks. Our seats weren't amazing, but Brad Paisley was as awesome as ever, and the fireworks were very impressive.  Definitely the longest show I've ever seen. Whitney went with us, and we hit up the dance party on the street for a little bit afterwards.

Dancers in the shape of the liberty bell

David Archuletta

When they say "Stadium of Fire" they aren't kiddin'


On Monday morning, we also went to the awesome parade, and around the Freedom Festival booths.



Not sure how the Llamas always end up in Utah activities, but I had to get a picture.
For an update on my broken husband--Landon went to the doctor yesterday and they gave him a stylin' shoe that he can wear and start putting pressure on his foot soon. He will still be using crutches for a couple weeks, but they said it was healing nicely. If I remember right, he got his stitches out too, so he's just waiting for it to heal.  The cut on his foot was in the shape of a Y, so he will forever be a loyal Cougar fan :)

3 comments:

  1. Michael slid like that. Do not put peroxide on it. It only makes it worse. We looked it up afterwards and it says not to. At least you can learn from our mistakes. :) Hope it gets better. Awesome hikes! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did everybody think you were a cool stud for sliding at a rec league game where the catcher can't even catch the ball? Or was it one of those over the top, "oops" moments? I think you're a stud. For what its worth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I'm not really sure. It may have seemed more cool if the catcher caught it and it seemed more necessary

    ReplyDelete