background

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Green Thumb


I just wanted to post about our garden because I'm pretty proud of myself :) Our yard may be a wasteland of dirt and new poplars popping up everywhere, but the garden represents some major sweat and hard work, ha. For real though, I even sprained my thumb weeding this week and now I can't really grasp anything with my right hand. 
We moved in a little late for the usual planting season, so we didn't have high expectations. The night we actually had time to do it, we ran into town to get seeds. There was a slight miscommunication with the peppers and we somehow ended up with several full rows of hot habenero or jalapeno peppers. Let me know if you are a salsa maker. Then we came back with a little bit of light left and a storm approaching. Landon and I hoed like crazy and spread some miracle grow in that soil as fast as we could. We were sticking plants in like lightening to avoid any lightening striking Landon, who was holding the shovel. Luckily, we got everything in--partly in the dark--about 20 minutes before the rain started.

When we started the endeavor of this year's garden, I told Landon to keep it small-scale. There are only two of us, and with cherry season, I knew I would have to take care of it by myself. And yet, he is always the one who chooses how much we plant, ha. With our little guy around, I could only weed about a third of it a day, so it took 3 days to finally weed it, and then a few days later I had to start all over again. Kinda disheartening. And then I discovered Preen. It's awesome--weed preventer. I put it in between the rows and this week I weeded the whole garden in like 15 minutes. 


I've also had to watch some youtube videos on how to harvest our crops, since neither Landon nor I know much about any of them. We had no idea when they were ready, or how to harvest them, or how to water. It's been mostly guess and check, but I thought I would consult the experts when figuring out some things. Despite the poplar trees trying to grow in the middle, and the gopher taking half of our lettuce, we are pretty happy with how it's turning out.




This is actually from Grandma and Grandpa Rowley's garden, but I laughed and thought you might like it too. He loves his veggies.

1 comment:

  1. Holy Cow! You are definitely a much better gardener than I am. Though I've never sprained a thumb weeding before... maybe you should go a little easier on those weeds?

    ReplyDelete