background

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Car Accident!

So, if you haven't heard, we were in a pretty major car accident on our way home for Christmas this year. I guess after driving a couple of times a year for 8 years over the mountains, the odds weren't in my favor. Ironically, this was our last drive to Washington in the winter.  

We were driving on some icy roads on our way into La Grande, OR. Semis were parked on the side putting on chains, and one of them came back onto the road going really slow, right in front of us. Landon tried to tap on the breaks, but it put us into a slide and the car spun 180 degrees right into another semi that was chaining up. As you can see, the car was totaled. What you may not know, is that our baby was sitting on the side with the crunched door. I was in the back trying to lean and cover him. At least that's what Landon tells me. I don't remember anything. God was definitely protecting us that night. Because somehow, aside from screaming with terror, little Ty wasn't hurt. The carseat was deep enough that despite the chair crunching over the end, his feet were still fine. And since we put pillows in the window to shade the sun earlier, it caught all the glass from falling on him. Landon was hit in the head by something, but other than a cut, he is doing fine. I hit my head somehow, and got a pretty bad concussion. They tell me that I couldn't think straight, or remember from one minute to the next. So I repeatedly asked what was going on, and if everyone was ok. I got some staples in my head for the cut, and the headaches and focus problems are subsiding. But other than that, we are miraculously all okay.  Landon's parents came in their big truck to pick us up from the hospital, and the truckers let us sit in their trucks and helped pick up our stuff from off the highway.

I'm amazed by the blessings involved with the whole thing. We were so lucky to have all come out ok. And the guy chaining up wasn't on that side of the truck, so he wasn't hit. Nor did his semi have much damage. Our stuff was all pretty good, aside from some dented luggage and one broken Christmas present. I almost think the loss of memory is even a blessing, because it all sounds pretty terrifying.  I'm not sure if God spared us for a specific purpose, or just to show that His hand is in our lives, but I'm pretty grateful.  Now we are on the lookout for a new car, so let us know if you have any recommendations!

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. I get all teared up reading about it, and I already knew the story! You did a nice job on the car. You guys don't do half-way, do you?

    ReplyDelete